Sunday, May 21, 2017

Scanning Film at Home with Epson Perfection V750Pro

It's no surprise that I use some old dated technology in my photography. I still haven't purchased a new laptop 100% of my work is being edited on mid 2012 Macbook Pro (non-retina discontinued) and my scanner is the Epson Perfection V750 Pro, a scanner dating back to 2006 yes over a decade old. Ever since I've graduated from the University I moaned in-focus, sharp scans. 


In December 2015, I wrote a blogpost about Anti Newton Ring glass. Since then I've been using the ANR glass (anti newton ring glass) in my scanning.
These ANR glass are cut in the specific size for the epson perfection V750 pro medium format film trays. These ANR glass helped me get the best quality I can achieve from the V750 scanner. The ANR glass helps keeping the film flat, nullifies film shaking, and keeps the film un bended in focus while scanning. See the diagram below. 


Ever since December 2015, all my medium format film scans from Epson Perfection V750 Pro scanner are with the help of ANR glass, and you can just look trough here
Those of you who has a V750, I'd reccomend you to try ANR, it is not a drum or a Imacon scanner but when used right by a skilled user it will give great results. My tip for using this scanner regardless of ANR glass or software is: automation should be the last thing you do with this scanner. I'll explain this along with my workflow scanning medium format film in another blogpost in future. 

1 comment: